Thursday, February 19, 2009

Does she look like a boy to you?

I remember when my older sister Aimee had her first daughter, Emileigh. Emileigh was a cute little baby, and, like Lilly, didn't have much hair for a long time. She used to get mad when people mistook her baby for a boy. I laughed at her and said, "It's not a big deal - it's an innocent mistake." I thought she was being way too sensitive to get mad over something like that. Well, now I understand how she felt. I'm going through the same thing she went through with Emileigh, with Lilly, and I'm none too happy about it. Today, two different people at the grocery store thought Lilly was a boy. "Hey little guy" one of them said. It must have been my scowl that alerted the clerk to her mistake, because she then tried to correct herself with, "Or, er, little gal - which is it?" And this isn't the first time this has happened. A lot of people have mistaken Lilly for a boy, actually. And it's happened when she's been wearing pink, for goodness sakes! I don't understand people! Here are some recent favorite photos of Lilly. You be the judge - isn't that the prettiest girl baby you've ever seen, or does she look like a boy to you? There's only one right answer to this question.

















9 comments:

Alicia said...

I think she is a beautiful little girl and very feminine. That first picture is awesome, what a doll. People are so stupid sometimes, I know that is not nice, but really if they are in pink, they are a girl, come on people.

Cathy said...

She IS a beautiful little girl! My girls DO have lots of hair, and people still call them boys sometimes. Big ponytails, pink or purple clothes. Yeah. Gotta be a boy! I especially love the picture of her sleeping, by the way. So sweet!

Zoe said...

People have said that about my girls a lot so I'm used to it but it still is annoying. My girls never get much hair either. Somtimes it's even worse when people say that and your little girl has a bow in. I remember when we just had Maddie and she was wearing all pink with pink blankets and a lady thought she was a boy, I thought she was nuts! I don't think Lilly looks like a boy at all, I think she's so cute! Some people are just crazy, don't even worry!

Hilary G. said...

She is a very cute little GIRL! I've had the same thing happen with my girls too. I don't know if people even look at these clothes before they say something, but they should. That's why I always tired to have bows in their hair, or should I say bows glued to their head.

Happy Spatula said...

Beautiful little girl: 100%! Just think about the months of hairstyling you're saving yourself.

wendys said...

Definitely a beautiful little girl! Eliza is occasionally mistaken for a boy (even with a ponytail!) because she gets to wear her brother's hand-me-down coats and some other clothes! The pink on your girls should be obvious!

Randi said...

She's a doll! My first daughter was bald until she was 2. Girls just have their own thing going, don't they!!??

Nancy said...

Super cute and definitely a girl. Ella was always mistaken for a boy due to baldness as well. I don't know why people assume that baldness means a boy... especially if the bald baby is dressed in pink!

Katy said...

I don't think she looks like a boy. People are dumb! Maybe you need to put HUGE bows in her hair everytime you take her anywhere.